Monday, January 20, 2014

An Adrenalin Rush

Yesterday's ride from Quy Nhon to Nah Trang was divided into 3 parts with a SAG in between each segment. At the beginning of  the third segment, Luc hoped we could make it to the hotel before night fall, a pretty important goal since none of the Pedal Tour's bikes had lights. I had one of those teeny tiny LED front blinkies and the bright Planet Bike rear blinkies. He thought if we kept a 12-14 mph pace we could do it. The lead pack, including me, booked it at between 18-20 mph and darkness still gobbled us up. It didn't help I still had on my dark glasses, but to stop and exchange for clear lenses would have meant losing my pack. We hit the Beach Boulevard in the middle of evening rush with a gazillion motor scooters, round abouts, and no clear knowledge of where our hotel was. It was just one of the BIG ones.

I tell you what, the best survival strategy is to ride at the pace of the scooters and just keep going; let them flow around you. It worked!! We all made it.

I felt really badly, though, because I thought Kirk was riding with Kathy and Linda; but they were behind him and he couldn't catch us because of traffic lights, which, surprisingly, they obey here in Nah Trang. So, the poor guy had to navigate his way without benefit of any compadres and benefit of any lights.

Altogether, probably not the wisest choice that any of us has made, but it is certainly a memorable arrival.

2 comments:

Daniel Efosa Uyi said...

Hey meh, I've been following your blog for almost 6 months now without leaving any comment so I decided to quickly say hi today.
Regards, Daniel from http://danieluyi.com

Susan said...

Thanks for checking in and for following my blog, Daniel.